Imlay Canyon Gear, Poster Photo Contest Results
Thank you to everyone who submitted. It was fun to see photos from many different places, including a variety of places in the US of A which do not get much action. Contest rules were as follows:
I want to produce a poster, unfortunately a little too late for Christmas, but... I'd like to open up submissions to everyone, so I've decided to have a contest:
1. The theme is "Water, water everywhere".
2. The context is technical canyoneering.
3. Submissions are limited to 3 pictures per person. Submitter must own the rights to the picture. (Tom may allow certain persons to submit more than 3 pictures, but no more than 3 images from one person will be selected as semi-finalists).
4. Winner will be used for one printing of a poster for Canyoneering USA. Submitter will be paid US$ 200.00 as a prize and for use of the image for the poster (and related sales activity).
5. Four runner-ups will be awarded a US$ 50.00 gift certificate at Canyoneering USA.
6. Tom will select 15-20 semi-finalists and put them up for a vote on the Canyons Yahoo Group. Tom reserves the right to select more or less semi-finalists.
7. Tom will select the winner from the top five vote getters. Decision is final.
8. Image must be available in a 2000 x 3000 minimum original pixel size (or film equivalent). Do not submit images for which a "printable" size image is not available. Model releases from recognizable persons are required.
9. Submission: email your best jpeg, longest side 900 pixels, file size no larger than 600kb to CanyoneeringUSA@gmail.com along with a caption, location, photographer's name, etc. Semi-finalists will need to submit a printable version for verification before being listed for voting.
10. Recognizable Imlay Canyon Gear equipment in the photo scores brownie points with me, but is not required.
11. All persons in the pictures participating in technical canyoneering must be wearing a helmet on their head.
12. No illegal activities may be pictured.
13. Submission deadline is Midnight Monday November 26th, in Mt Carmel UT. Voting will take place from Nov 30th to Dec 7th. Final winners announced Dec 10th or so.
Thanks in advance for all those participating, as photographer, model, voter or heckler!
OK, so the timeline was shot to heck, and while I thought I would select 15-20 semi-finalists myself, when push came to shove, I put all the pics up for voting. A score was determined by multiplying the average vote by the number of votes for each picture. The full results are available HERE. Presented here are the 5 top point-getters, and I am awarding an extra prize on a sixth photo, because I like it so much. I've bumped the runner-up prizes to $ 100.00; and selected Eric's Big Water picture for the poster.
Two rappellers, Two bridges. Cathedral rappel in Pine Creek by Dan Ransom (310.5 pts)
The "Eye of the Needle" rappel near Lava Point, John Corbin rappelling - by Nick Wilkes (306 pts)
Exploring a BLM canyon in flood conditions, near Zion National Park by Eric Draper (292.5 pts)
Aaron Locander riding the floss in Cibeque Canyon, Apache Reservation, Arizona by Tom Wetherell (229.5 pts)
John Corbin rapping through the debrisfall in Eye of the Needle by Nick Wilkes (178.5 pts)
Shyange Waterfall in Nepal. Photo by Lama Rajendra (161 pts)
(Special runner-up award - Tom's favorite)